9.8.07

obsidian


Salience is my sanctuary.
Something in the core
of me
is like the sun
but darker.

I move like a moth.
Stay still so long
you think I am dead.
Then light up.
Impossible to track.
Not hard to catch.
The fire goddess.

I have been more things,
new things,
since I’ve been without you.

I found the steam in me,
the calm rooted in heat,
the most rewarding quiet.
At the bottom of the ocean
I lie like a dutiful rug

until I miss you too much
and my blood is lava
and I scream up pumping through
the surface, the distorted mirror,
a volcano that I can burst out of.
For God’s sake,
Give me some air!
I can’t breathe underwater.

I chased myself
into redundancy
and turned island.
The tears I cried
were fever tears
that cracked my cheeks
as they slipped down shore.

I’m drowning in burning.
I can’t wait anymore.

No comments: